What do you think when you look at the sky?
Oh! What a beautiful cosmos. We should be grateful forever to the space scientists and allied scientists for toiling day and night doing experiments and telling us that our Earth is just the size of a marble and the Moon is just the size of a mustard seed compared to the humongous cosmos and cosmic objects incomparably bigger than our Earth which are located billions of light years away from us.
Looking at the sky from the point of view of a poet is different. A poet will look at the cosmos from an aesthetic angle and writes beautiful poems. Whereas a space scientist looks at the sky with wonder and tries to unravel the mystery.
I recommend that each and every literate person should be made aware of this beautiful cosmos. Everyone should know a few basic things about cosmos. I have seen post-graduates and PhDs in other subjects having zero knowledge about the Universe. Most of them do think that Universe means our solar system only. Nothing exists beyond our solar system. Even after the advent of computers and smartphones many people just have no inclination to browse and understand these wonderful things. I can understand that earlier only reference books kept in libraries contained this information and lay people had no time or inclination to visit libraries and only those interested in these subjects ( who were limited in number) visited libraries and made note of the required information ( unfortunately, in India, some 30 years ago, there was no photocopying facility in libraries). Now the position has improved.
Some examples –
- The biggest known star so far in the visible universe, named as U.Y.Scuti by space scientists, is 1700 times bigger than our humongous Sun in radius.
- There is not one single universe, as we are made to believe. There are many universes. Hence it is called multiverse.
- Universe is constantly and continuously expanding and the distance between galaxies is increasing every second.
- Dark matter and dark energy is in large proportion.
- Though zillions and zillions of cosmic objects are continuously revolving at unimaginably high speed, accidents are uncommon.
- Etc etc etc etc.