A social problem is an issue within the society that makes it difficult for people to achieve their full potential. Poverty, unemployment, unequal opportunity, racism, and malnutrition are example of social problems. The term social issues is usually taken to refer to social conditions that disrupt or damage society.
The definition of social issues also called a social problems, is an undesirable conditions that people believe should be corrected. Homelessness is an example of a social issues.
Types of social issues
Sociologists distinguish between two types of social problems.
First – Problems of social organizations which are created by the way the community or society produces situations that some members of the society refuse to accept as right or necessary or even inevitable.
These are for instance, communalism, casteism, regionalism, poverty, gender discrimination, population, environmental imbalance.
Second – Problems of deviance having to do with the adjustment to people to conventional ways of living.
These include, for example, drug addiction, alcoholism, mental illness, various forms of sexual behavior like rape, incest, sodomy, bigamy, prostitution, vandalism and host of others. Behavior, most of which are for hidden by laws.
Social issues of today
- Voting rights – Exercising the right to vote is one of the social justice issues prioritized by the national association of social workers .
- Racial injustice – Racism has a long history in the United States, and it’s impact can be found in every facet of education, business, media and day-to-day life.
- Poverty – The Sociologists David Elesh determined two causes of poverty namely individual, culture of poverty and social structures.
- Religion – This religious social and artistic intolerance is one of the most dangerous social evils lurking in the unexpected quarters of our nation.
- Blind faith in the government – This is exactly opposite to the earlier problems of baseless critism. Thousands of the citizens of our country have taken it upon their shoulders to be blind soldiers for the government.
- Women’s safety – This is one issue which does not need any further explanation. This is the fourth most common crime against women in India.
- Shaming – All kinds of shaming – slut shaming, body shaming, mother shaming and victim shaming.
Solution to social issues –
There are three points trying to reach a solution to social problems:
- Multiple – Factor approach- Each social issues is caused by number of factor, for example, the problem of crime cannot be contained unless it is collectively prereived in terms of poverty, unemployment, social association and frustration and so on.
- Interrelatedness – No social issues can be perceived atomistically . Each problem has relation to the other problem.
- Relativity – Each social issues problems she related to time and space. What is considered a problems in one society may not be considered so in the other.
This article has covered many social issues faced by Indian Citizens on a daily basis.
It is essential that such problems be recognized by individuals and government alike so that they may work together towards a better future.
All the above points show the current scenario of Indian democracy. It shows, Indian democracy withered day by day.