Personality development and self help :
What is personality?
“ Appearance make impressions but it is the personality that make an impact “. Personality is the characteristic patterns of thoughts, feelings, and behaviours that make a person unique. In simple words it’s the some total of behaviour. The word personality itself stems from the Latin word persona, which refers to a theatrical mask worn by performers in order to either project different roles or disguise their identities.
- Importance of personality development-
It helps gain confidence, self-esteem, positive impact on one’s communication skills and the way one sees the world. Students should develop an outgoing and impressive personality that will enhance the quality of learning. Everyone has qualities that make them unique by trying to develop their persona .
Characteristics of personality
So, what exactly makes up a personality ? Traits and patterns of thoughts and emotions play important role as well as the following fundamental characteristics of personality:
- Consistency: There is generally a recognizable order and regularity to behaviours. Essentially, people act in the same ways or similar ways in a variety of situations.
- Psychological and physiological: Personality is a Psychological construct, but research suggests that it is also influenced by biological processes and needs.
- Behaviour and action: Personality not only influences how we move and respond in our environment, but it also causes us to act in certain ways.
- Multiple expressions: Personality is displayed in more than just behaviour. It can also be seen in our thoughts, feelings, close relationships, and other social interactions.
How do personality develop?
There are three main influences on personality development. Which are hereditary, environment and situation
Hereditary: this refers to the influences on your personality that you are born with. They are in your genes and there is not much you can do to change this traits. They can include your temperament, which helps to determine how you react to situations and how easygoing you are. In kids, it may affect how well they get along with others. Genetics, of course, also determines how someone looks.
Environment: Our environment is the nurturing aspect of our lives. It is the type of environment in which we live and grow up. Environment would include home, school, work, or other places that you spend a lot of time. Environmental factors also include such things as languages, religion, etc.
Situations : these are the experiences that each individual person goes through. The various things that people experience will leave imprints on and help to develop his or her personality. Everything from divorce, death, trauma, and even happy times fit into the “situations” category of shaping one’s personality.
Five Personality traits
The Big Five are the ingredient that make up each individual’s personality.
- Openness – Openness is shorthand for “Openness to experience”. People who are high in Openness, enjoy adventure. They’re curious and appreciate art, imagination and new things. The motto of the open individual might be “variety is the spice of life”. People low in Openness see just the opposite: They prefer to stick to their habits, avoid new experiences and probably aren’t the most adventurous eaters.
- Conscientiousness – People who are Conscientious are organized and have a strong sense of duty. They’re dependable, disciplined and achievement-focused. You won’t find Conscientious type getting off on round- the world journeys with only a backpack; They’re planners.
People low in conscientiousness are more spontaneous and freewheeling. They may tend towards carelessness.
- Extraversion – Extraversion versus introversion is possibly the most recognizable personality trait of the Big Five. The more of an extravert someone is, the more of a social butterfly they are. Extravert are chatty, sociable and draw energy from crowds. They tend to be assertive and cheerful in their social interactions.
Introverts, on the other hand, need plenty of alone time , perhaps because their brains process social interactions differently. Introversion is often confused with shyness, but the two aren’t the same . Shyness implies a fear of social interactions or an inability to function socially. Introverts can be perfectly charming at parties- they just prefer solo or small -group activities.
- Agreeableness -Agreeableness measures the extent of a person’s warmth and kindness. The more agreeable someone is , the more likely they are to be trusting, helpful and compassionate. Disagreeable people are cold and suspicious of others, and they’re less likely to cooperate.
- Neuroticism- People high in neuroticism worry frequently and easily sleep into anxiety and depression. In contrast, people who are low in neuroticism tend to be emotionally stable and even – keeled .
How to develop a good personality ?
There isn’t really such a thing as having an objectively good personality. Every one likes different types of people. The key is building a personality that you can feel proud of and confident in. You want a personality that will attract the types of people that you like . Developing your personality will take time and consistent effort, just like making any other major lifestyle change . You will need to form new beliefs overtime ,and put those beliefs into action until they becomes habits. There are some ways that will help you for developing a better persona .
- Be a good listener, start observing more and know when to speak .
- Read more whatever you like and expand your interests.
- Improve your body language, etiquette and habits .
- Make yourself healthy and clean ,do exercises ,skin care ,body care. This will boost your confidence for sure.
- Always stay calm ,lot of people seem as like they have a good personality until you see them in an emergency or tense situations. Then they lose their cool . Don’t be this person .
The term personality development and self help is a phase of human mind where he wants to invest in himself , a willingness to make the best version of himself. I believe the key to human development is building on who you already are and keep going .
Because ,”development is a continuous process, from womb to tomb”.
Thank you !